RSS Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
 


Featured Advisor



Srbo Radisavljevic
Managing Principal/Investment Advisor

Edge Portfolio Management

City:Northbrook

State: IL



BIOGRAPHY:
At Edge, a low client to advisor ratio allows for personal and customized service for each individual.  Our goal is to work as a team for each client to provide not only portfolio management but wealth coordination and financial planning.  We make every effort to have frequent communication with our clients and to provide timely response to calls and emails.  I also enjoy spending time with my wife and three kids, following Chicago sports, enjoying ethnic cooking, and serving as a school board member for Norridge School District 80.

Click to see the full profile


Share |

How Investors Celebrate Mother's Day

More than a third of investors give mom a gift on Mother's Day, and 42 percent find a greeting card that expresses their feelings about mom.

| BY Kent McDill

Mother’s Day is perhaps the most sentimental of American holidays, perhaps because almost everyone feels sentimental about their mother, and there are more than 85 million mothers in the United States today.

In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson declared the second Sunday in May as the day to celebrate Mothers, which means this is the 100th anniversary of Mother’s Day in the United States.

There are many different ways in which families celebrate Mother’s Day, but most investors do something to show appreciation for the mothers in their lives.

In a survey of investors by Spectrem’s Millionaire Corner, 75 percent of all investors said they celebrate Mother’s Day in some way. That leaves 25 percent of investors who stated they do not celebrate Mother’s Day.

RELATED: Consumer Spending Trends: Mother's Day Tops Pops. 

The Millionaire Corner data is segmented, and here is the most interesting fact from the segments: among unmarried investors, only 61 percent participate in Mother’s Day. 

The big Mother’s Day celebration is taking her out for a meal, and 29 percent of investors take their mother out to dinner, while 22 percent prefer to go to brunch. The wealthier the investor, the more likely it is that they take their mother out to dinner (34 percent of investors with a net worth of $5 million or more do so).

Females prefer brunch (27 percent) to dinner (26 percent) while males are much more interested in dinner (31 percent) than brunch (19 percent).

Thirty-seven percent of all investors give the mothers in their life a gift, and that number climbs to 46 percent among corporate executives and 41 percent for business owners. Again, married investors are more likely than unmarried investors (41 percent to 28 percent) to get a gift for Mom.

How hard is it to get Mom a greeting card? Forty-two percent of all investors give Mom a message card on Mother’s Day.

 



About the Author


Kent McDill

kmcdill@spectrem.com

Kent McDill is a staff writer for Millionaire Corner. McDill spent 30 years as a sports writer, working for United Press International and the Daily Herald of Arlington Heights, Ill. From 1988-1999, he covered the Chicago Bulls for the Daily Herald, traveling with them every day through the nine-month season. He also covered the Bulls for UPI from 1985-88, and currently covers the team for www.nba.com. He has written two books on the Bulls, including the new title “100 Things Bulls Fans Should Know And Do Before They Die’, published by Triumph Books. In August 2013, his new book “100 Things Bears Fans Should Know And Do Before They Die” gets published.

In 2008, he resigned from the Herald and became a freelance writer. The Herald hired him to write business features and speeches for the Daily Herald Business Conferences and Awards presentations.

McDill also writes a monthly parenting column for the Herald’s Suburban Parent magazine.

McDill is the father of four children, and an active fan of soccer, Jimmy  Buffett and all things Disney.